Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Amanda Foss Selected to Exhibit at Circle of Fine Art at the Jonquil Festival

Meet artist Amanda Foss. Her art will be on exhibit and sale at the Smyrna Arts & Cultural Council's "Circle of Fine Art at the Jonquil Festival" on October 28/29, 2017.
Artist Statement:
Painting is a very personal experience for me because it's my way of expressing and sharing the stories that I tend to keep hidden in the deepest parts of my mind. As a child I would lose myself for hours in this or that Fantasy novel, pouring over tales like "Watership Down", "The Jungle Book" or "The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe". When I wasn't reading, I was making up stories of my own... writing them down, or drawing them out on paper... dreaming up what the places and characters looked like and how they made me feel. Some haunt me still, and beg to be released even as new images form in my mind.
Some of my paintings come from dreams (sometimes even nightmares), but many begin by unlocking that dusty vault in my mind and unwrapping a story, once imagined by a child. I think of my paintings as pages from a storybook. If you open the book to the middle and begin reading, without knowing the beginning or end, this would be where you are... a snapshot in time. I want my work to evoke a curious sense of wonder and strange familiarity in the viewer... the notion that there is a wondrous story behind it all, and the anticipation of more yet to come.”

No comments:

Post a Comment